Re: document transition effect

Nice idea. However, you could  have conflicts. If one document moves to the
left while the other animates its opacity, you may get strange results. But
it seems acceptable to have conflicts, as it's up to the developer to think
about those.

> > Visual transitions are something different from property transitions.
> > Many transitions are not representable in term of property transitions.
> > It is sufficient to have a look at PowerPoint to notice the difference
> > between "object animations" and "slides transitions".
>
> That is true when you are doing any transition, it may be that we
> eventually want to define some visual effect transitions to, for example,
> transition properties like 'visibility', to allow page curls, dissolves,
> zoom in/out, checkerboard reveals, barn door reveals, etc., and these may
> also work for page transitions.

Good point, too. It however still seems to me it's definitively another
property. You're probably not wanting to introduce this new concept in the
already existing 'transiton' properties, because such "special" transitions
only apply to some special kind of property, not all.

Additionnaly, you may also want to perform such "transition" when updating
the background property, for example. What about a "visual-transition:
(none|dissolve|zoom-in|...) <duration>;" property. Each time the visual
representing the DOM element is modified, the visual-transition occurs and
the old visual is smoothly transformed into the new one.

The only problem is that all visual changes are not always expected to
trigger a transition. Exemple: in a flexible layout, the visual may be
regenerated just because the size of the window changed. The Microsoft way
to solve the triggering problem was to use JavaScript, which is probably not
what we want here (even if it does the trick, most of the time). Maybe
something like "visual-transition-triggers: visibility, display,
background;" ? Or a "visual: <identifier>" property which would trigger the
visual-transition when changing its value ? More reflection should happen
here to see what's the best solution. Visual transitions in pure CSS is not
an easy thing. Maybe not to implement, but at least to implement in a good
way.