Re: document transition effect

On Mar 15, 2011, at 12:47 PM, François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> You would need to redefine completely the semantics behind the "left" property. [...]

OK, use transforms then. Or use opacity for a dissolve.

> , it don't mean the other (=new) document is forced to follow the current document by moving by the same amount.

No, but if it is using the same sort of CSS on its :loaded pseudo-class and it is from the same site, then we can allow the two transitions to happen in a coordinated fashion. Otherwise, it could happen more as a reveal than a push wipe.

> It would be very complex for another reasone : it means that if you define a transition on the "left" property, the new document moves from the right of the current document; but if it's the opacity property that's animated, then the new document should be located behind the other. It's not really intuitive...

Sure it is. The second document decides how it wants to transition in, and the transition happens when the DOM for the second document is loaded (alternatively, when the whole document is loaded, images and all).

> Visual transitions are something different from property transitions. Many transitions are not representable in term of property transitions. It is sufficient to have a look at PowerPoint to notice the difference between "object animations" and "slides transitions".

That is true when you are doing any transition, it may be that we eventually want to define some visual effect transitions to, for example, transition properties like 'visibility', to allow page curls, dissolves, zoom in/out, checkerboard reveals, barn door reveals, etc., and these may also work for page transitions.