RE: root list item Re: [CSS21] 12.5 Lists

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:15 PM Peter Moulder wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:31:44PM -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> > On 9/7/10 5:28 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> >
> > > Gecko doesn't display marker box for root list-item; I haven't yet
> > > determined whether this is a display issue or it's being forced to
> > > be display:block.
> >
> > The latter.  This seems to be what
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/visuren.html#display-
> prop
> > (and earlier drafts) called for.
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/visuren.html#display-
> prop
> > is the first draft with the current verbiage, which treats the root
> > the same way positioned and floated boxes are treated....
> >
> > I'll get a bug filed on this.
>
> OOC, why was this changed?  Not being familiar with the weird and
> wonderful ways in which authors use CSS, I'd have thought it not a
> particularly important use case in CSS2.1, and I wouldn't mind if the spec
> marked it as undefined whether root list-item becomes block or stays list-
> item.
>
> One reason that root list-item displeases me is that it means that the box
> tree isn't actually a tree at all, but a forest.  Not a huge deal, but it
> nevertheless seems like more cost than the uses I can see for root list-items
> (beyond what can be achieved with :before and/or a non-root list-item).

Thank you for your feedback. The CSSWG has addressed your concerns in the upcoming publication of the CSS 2.1 specification[1].

The CSSWG resolved to  explicitly make list-item on the root element undefined.

We hope this closes your issue.

Please respond before 18 March, 2011 if you do not accept the current resolution.

[1] http://w3.org/TR/CSS