Re: roadmap for new CSS specs: template, grid, regions and floats

From: Simon Fraser <simon.fraser@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:04:34 -0800
Cc: Arno Gourdol <agourdol@adobe.com>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, w3c-css-wg <w3c-css-wg@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Mar 11, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Arno Gourdol <agourdol@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Your proposal seems reasonable.
>> Where would Flexbox fit? It's conceivable that Flexbox could be used to do
>> some layout that you would apply story threading to.
>
> We can definitely combine threading with Flexbox, possibly through
> ::slot() to generate the region containers (and flex-index to position
> the regions in the flexbox?).

I don't think these should be combined. We need to strive to slice and dice the modules
so that they are orthogonal to each other, so a regions spec needs to deal specifically
with flowing content between boxes, and not how those boxes are laid out.

>> We have a couple of other elements to our proposal like text fitting and
>> optical baseline alignment that would probably need to fit somewhere else as
>> well. Maybe CSS Text?
>
> By 'text fitting' do you mean fitting text into non-rectangular
> regions?

I agree with the later mail that text fitting has more general utility.

> That should be a separate spec.  Same with baseline
> alignment - this should be Line Grid or something like that.

That sounds reasonable.

Simon