Re: CSS Hierarchies / Selector Nesting Proposal

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 12:09:18 -0400
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 6/2/11 11:48 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> OK, I see the issue now. By inserting the ampersand token, you are being more explicit with regard to space handing.

Yeah, the use of ' ' as a combinator is sort of killing us here.  :(

> If the use case for each of those two examples is equally strong

I think that the use cases for the "#foo.bar" and "#foo .bar" selectors
are equally strong, yeah.  They're both pretty commonly used.  For
":hover" instead of ".bar" the use case for the descendant combinator is
less strong, but I don't think we should have different parsing rules
for ":hover" and ".bar" here.

-Boris