Re: [css3-flexbox] intuitivity and width computation rules

On 1/13/11 4:10 AM, Rob Crowther wrote:
> I'd always assumed you had to have an element with table-row in there,

If you did, we wouldn't need the mess that is
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#anonymous-boxes

> I've been struggling to find a description of what display:
> table/-row/-cell are expected to do in the specs, can anyone give me a
> pointer?

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html is the relevant text, right?

That said, table _layout_ is not really specified.  The relevant quotes
from the spec:

   17.5.2.2 Automatic table layout
     UAs are not required to implement this algorithm to determine the
     table layout in the case that 'table-layout' is 'auto'; they can
     use any other algorithm even if it results in different behavior.

(And in practice they do, because the algorithm given in the spec is not
web-compatible.)

   17.5.3 Table height algorithms
     CSS 2.1 does not define how extra space is distributed when the
     'height' property causes the table to be taller than it otherwise
     would be.
     CSS 2.1 does not define how the height of table cells and table
     rows is calculated when their height is specified using percentage
     values.
     CSS 2.1 does not specify how cells that span more than one row
     affect row height calculations

So all the "interesting" cases are unspecified.

-Boris