Re: [css3-flexbox] intuitivity and width computation rules

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html is the relevant text, right?

Yes, I had already looked at that...

> That said, table _layout_ is not really specified.

I'd assumed that meant it was specified somewhere else :)

> The relevant quotes from the spec:

Thanks for those.

> So all the "interesting" cases are unspecified.

Yes, since I'm particularly interested in how these things are applied
to elements which aren't tables.  Like for instance in a setup like this:

body:table
   div:table-row
   div:table-row
     div:table-cell
     div:table-cell
     div:table-cell
   div:table-row

Why do the first and last div become the width of the first child div of
the second div?  It happens consistently across Firefox, Opera and
Chrome so I assume there is some agreement of how it should work, but
why are the three table-row divs not all the same width?

Rob

PS. Apologies for veering off the topic of the thread here - is there a
css3-tables spec?  I see there's a "CSS Tables Module" with no actual
document on the current work page, and there's a css3-tables-algorithm
in CVS, but that doesn't seem to be very far along.