From: Charles Pritchard [mailto:chuck@jumis.com]
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 3:49 PM
To: Rik Cabanier
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3] support for filters

On 1/5/2011 3:28 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

All,

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but are there any plans to introduce the filters to CSS?

It would be great if there was support for blur or drop shadow filters. Having them part of a transition or a keyframes structure would allow for some very useful effects.

The syntax could be based on Internet Explorer's, SVG or Flash.

Since a lot of browsers are moving to GPU acceleration, they should be able to implement this and achieve good performance...
Such discussion will likely happen in the FX group:
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/fx/

.style.filter = 'url(#...)' seems a likely candidate for SVG filters.
http://paulirish.com/work/videooo.xhtml<view-source:http://paulirish.com/work/videooo.xhtml>

I don't think filter effects have been looked at from the standpoint of animation.
I could be completely wrong on that account.

It'd be nice to see an SVG + WebGL profile develop:
http://webkit.org/blog-files/webgl/Earth.html