Re: [css3] support for filters

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:48:40 -0800
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com>
On 1/5/2011 3:28 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but are there any plans to introduce the filters to CSS?
> It would be great if there was support for blur or drop shadow filters. Having them part of a transition or a keyframes structure would allow for some very useful effects.
>
> The syntax could be based on Internet Explorer's, SVG or Flash.
> Since a lot of browsers are moving to GPU acceleration, they should be able to implement this and achieve good performance...
Such discussion will likely happen in the FX group:
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/fx/

.style.filter = 'url(#...)' seems a likely candidate for SVG filters.
http://paulirish.com/work/videooo.xhtml
<view-source:http://paulirish.com/work/videooo.xhtml>

I don't think filter effects have been looked at from the standpoint of
animation.
I could be completely wrong on that account.

It'd be nice to see an SVG + WebGL profile develop:
http://webkit.org/blog-files/webgl/Earth.html