Re: [css3] support for filters

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 13:31:50 +1300
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com>
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, ed@opera.com, www-style@w3.org
Rik Cabanier:
> Thanks for the info!
>
> Having the filter defined externally to the CSS by using 'url(#..)' will make it harder to use. Is there a proposal to make it part of css?
> Animated filter are very useful ie it's very common to use a blur filter to simulate motion.

I think it is worth looking into having shorthand filters specified just
in the property itself, like you have with blur(5) below.  If you wanted
to support all of what SVG filters currently supports, by writing
something in a single property, it’s going to get somewhat complicated,
though.  I don’t know how far we want to take it.

An advantage of allowing filter definitions in the filter property, as
you have done, is that CSS Transitions can define what it means to
interpolate between two values.  If we only have url() values, then it’s
just going to be a discrete change, and you would need to have the
transition/animation targetting the <feGaussianBlur> element itself.
And that would mean that if you want to have multiple elements having an
animated blur, you would need separate instances of the whole <filter>
so that they could separately animated their blur radius attributes.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/