Re: [css3-flexbox] Flexbox needs to define where the baseline of a box is

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:59:04 -0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> The flexbox draft doesn't seem to define where the baseline of a box is
> located; it certainly doesn't define it for empty boxes.  This needs to be
> defined.

It turns out that I misread what Boris was asking about here.  He was
specifically interested in the baseline in this case:

The baseline is well-defined if the flexbox contains something, even a
single space, but when it's completely empty it's not.

I suggest we adopt the inline-block behavior of the baseline in this
case being the after outer edge.  This means that the baseline can
change significantly with the addition or removal of a single
whitespace, but shrug.  I don't see a way around it.