RE: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

I was wondering about that. Taking another look
at this branch of the algorithm it certainly seems
to be designed to preserve the specified column-gap,
no matter how large it may be in relation to the
available width. Is that intentional ? Adjusting
the column-gap may complicate things somewhat but
do author really give the gap size a higher priority
than column-width/column-count ?