RE: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 18:54:13 +0000
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Ah, I see, after you fix line 24, changing line 17 to "<=" makes no difference when zero-width columns with their gaps fit precisely into the width.

I may have missed the discussion that led to lines 23-26 though. That part of the algorithm takes off at the point where nothing fits at all and tries to give priority to column gap over column count, which leads to a transition from 3 zero-width columns to 2 usable columns. 2 columns could be useful, but if you have to hit zero first I find that questionable...

It seems to me there shouldn't be any way to get from 3 columns to 2 columns. The algorithm should either decrease column gap to keep 3 zero-width columns indefinitely, drop all the way to 1 column or produce overflow.