From: Håkon Wium Lie [mailto:howcome@opera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:25 AM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: Sylvain Galineau; www-style@w3.org
Subject: RE: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > BTW you can further improve this degradation track by changing line (17) from  >
 > 	(17)    if ((column-count - 1) * column-gap < available-width) then
 > 	(17)    if ((column-count - 1) * column-gap <= available-width) then
 >
 > If you consider zero-width columns an acceptable multicolumn  > layout, you will get 3 zero-width columns at 50px gap.

To me, it seems that changing line (17) will have no impact; you will in any case get 3 zero-width columns at 50px gap. The only differnce is that line 18 will set it to three, rather than line 24.

I think we must allow zero-width columns. This will also occur when 'column-count' approaches infinity. But we probably don't want to allow 'column-width: 0'. In the editor's draft, I have clarified that zero is an acceptable computed value for 'column-count'.

   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/

-h&kon