Re: transform properties

On Monday, February 7, 2011, 5:54:30 PM, Simon wrote:

SF> On Jan 18, 2011, at 6:51 pm, Vynce Montgomery wrote:

>> I dunno what you guys are doing with transform
>>  (a) please make rotate() positive for counter-clockwise, as it is in
>> mathematics.  This is the opposite of what the (not yet standardized)
>> prototypes in webkit, mozilla, and opera do, but it's still correct.

SF> The clockwise direction was chosen to match SVG:
SF> <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html#RotationDefined>

SF> In addition, on a web page the coordinate system is top-down, so
SF> a clockwise direction is arguably more sensible.

In fact that was why SVG chose a Y-down coordinate system in the first place, because Web pages have a Y-down, top-right-origin coordinate system.

Having chosen that, the direction of rotation (always from positive x axis = 0 degrees to positive y axis = 90 degrees, in mathematics)follows naturally.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG