Re: transform properties

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 08:54:30 -0800
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Vynce Montgomery <vynce.montgomery@gmail.com>
On Jan 18, 2011, at 6:51 pm, Vynce Montgomery wrote:

> I dunno what you guys are doing with transform
>  (a) please make rotate() positive for counter-clockwise, as it is in
> mathematics.  This is the opposite of what the (not yet standardized)
> prototypes in webkit, mozilla, and opera do, but it's still correct.

The clockwise direction was chosen to match SVG: <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html#RotationDefined>

In addition, on a web page the coordinate system is top-down, so a clockwise direction is arguably more sensible.

[Unfortunately this still conflicts with the rotation direction of the recently-proposed gradients.]

>  (b) please consider having a separate transform-translate,
> transform-rotate, etc so that they can be numeric properties.

Can you explain why you need these?

Simon