Repeating gradient syntax question

From: Fraser Pearce <me@fraserpearce.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:15:14 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
 Hi,

In reading the syntax I can't help but feel the way the repeated gradients
work is still a bit long winded and seeminly duplicitive of the non repeat.
I can think of two other, potentially better, ways of writing it in CSS that
would be simpler and clearer.

My preferred method would simply to have a repeat keyword in the syntax, so
the following:

-webkit-repeating-linear-gradient(left, red, green, blue)

Would be written:

-webkit-linear-gradient(left, red, green, blue, repeat)

The other option would be to observe the background-repeat value instead,
seeing as ultimately these gradients are generated background images… but in
this option I can't help but think I'm missing taking into account some kind
of effect you wouldn't be able to do this way.

Thoughts?

Fraser Pearce

W: http://www.fraserpearce.com
E: me@fraserpearce.com