Re: in-between values

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 12:04:41 +0100
To: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 00:02:27 +0100, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 1, 2011, at 8:36 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>>> A midpoint yes, but not necessarily a halfway point. The number
>>> between 0 and 1 would indicate the position of the midpoint, with
>>> smaller numbers (0 – 0.5) being closer to the first value, and larger
>>> numbers (0.5 – 1) being closer to the second value.
>>
>> I think mid() implies the half-way point too strongly.
>
> Maybe.

As a non-native speaker, I found the notation strange. Certainly, in
geometry, midpoint means halfway point.

mid-
denoting the middle of
in the middle; medium; half
(<http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0518170>)

middle
at an equal distance from the extremities of something; central
(<http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0518260>)

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA