Re: [css3-flexbox] Trying out flex units again

From: Jeremie Patonnier <jeremie.patonnier@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:14:58 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Hello,

As a web author, I found your proposal much more understandable and, FWIW,
somewhat more "intuitive"

Nonetheless, I do not really understand what is the benefit of the flex()
function.
In what way is it different than using min-width/min-height and
max-width/max-height or even the already defined calc() function ?

To me, doing this :

width : flex(200px, 1fl)

Is the same as :

width: 1fl;
min-width: 200px;

And this :

width : flex(200px, 0, 1fl);

Looks like :

width : calc(200px - 1fl);

So I can understand the need for fine tunning on flex size but it could be
better to relay on existing property to handle this.
What do you think ?

Regards
--
Jeremie