Re: in-between values

On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:04 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 00:02:27 +0100, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think mid() implies the half-way point too strongly.
>>
>> Maybe.
>
> As a non-native speaker, I found the notation strange. Certainly, in geometry, midpoint means halfway point.
>
> mid-
> denoting the middle of
> in the middle; medium; half
> (<http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0518170>)
>
> middle
> at an equal distance from the extremities of something; central
> (<http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0518260>)

It is often used to mean "somewhere in the middle" (as in, "somewhere between the two ends"), not necessarily "exactly half way". So, for instance, if someone interrupts my speech somewhere "mid-sentence", it doesn't have to be precisely at the point at which I have have spoken exactly half a sentence.

As another person pointed out, it is sometimes used in other computer languages (vbscript is one) to select a range of text within a string, and the numbers determine the position and length of that range. It can be anywhere within the string, even the ends. I am using it similarly to pick a precise location within the interpolation range.