Re: [css3-regions] Avoid Markup Clutter

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:30:58 +0100
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Cc: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
Christoph Päper wrote:

 > | The CSS regions module is independent of the layout of regions
 > | and the mechanism used to create them.
 >
 > This module absolutetly should specify a means to generate stylable
 > regions without additional markup. Whether it is an at-rule or a
 > pseudo-element is debatable. I prefer ‘@region’, though.

Yes, regions -- which by definition are only there for styling
purposes -- should be specified in a style language.

 > | However, for simplicity, our example uses elements as regions …
 >
 > That would be setting a bad example. Regions should come from the
 > box tree, not from the node tree.

Indeed. HTML is inappropriate for this.

Further, using HTML elements makes it harder, if not impossible, to
have auto-generation of regions. Auto-generation is essential to
reusable style sheets, user-specified font sizes and other long-held
CSS principles.

-h&kon