[css3-regions] Avoid Markup Clutter

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 16:53:13 +0100
To: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
| The CSS regions module is independent of the layout of regions
| and the mechanism used to create them.

This module absolutetly should specify a means to generate stylable regions without additional markup. Whether it is an at-rule or a pseudo-element is debatable. I prefer ‘@region’, though.

Then, ‘@region’ like other at-rules, should be followed by an (optional) identifier / name, not an selector. Instead of an approach like ‘@media’ with nested rulesets, the region name should be part of the selector inside a pseudo-class:

  @region foo {position: absolute; …}
  p                {color: red; …}
  p:in-region      {color: orange; …}
  p:in-region(foo) {color: green; …}

| However, for simplicity, our example uses elements as regions …

That would be setting a bad example. Regions should come from the box tree, not from the node tree.