Re: [css3-selectors] Proposal for browser specific prefix

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:08:02 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 4/22/11 2:29 PM, Alexander Shpack wrote:
> Possible 3 statements:
> * Spec is incomplete, UA support it in testing mode.
> * Spec is complete, UA support feature in standard mode.
> * UA feature, no spec available.

You missed:

  * Spec is incomplete (or nonexistent), UAs implement wildly different
    things

> And -something: foo; for first one; (use - instead *), because every
> UA should be as closer as possible to spec, is not right?

Not really, no, for prefixed properties.

For example, WebKit has a policy of not changing the behavior of its
prefixed properties once implemented, even if the spec then changes, as
far as I can tell.

> I do not want to change my CSS every 3 month, because UA behavior or
> Spec was changed.

Then you probably don't want to be using prefixed things at all.  As
things stand, you _do_ need to change your CSS whenever UA behavior
changes (spec changes don't matter here except insofar as they cause UA
behavior changes).

-Boris