Re: [css3] [css21] browser specific CSS

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 08:11:39 -0400
To: Glenn Linderman <v+html@g.nevcal.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
On 3/31/11 11:20 PM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> It would be highly friendly if CSS required the browsers to "man up" to
> what version of what browser they actually are, so that as their
> deficiencies come to light they can easily be detected and compensated
> for rather than forcing the use of browser-specific CSS, Javascript, or
> ugly hacks.

Mozilla would be very unlikely to implement such a thing, even if it
were to be specified.  On the contrary, we're actively working on
removing most versioning information from our User-Agent string as well.

I think you're making the fundamental mistake of assuming that if the
functionality were available then it would be used well, on average.
That's not what we're seeing with User-Agent sniffing, and I see little
evidence that it would happen here.  While it's _possible_ to correctly
use version information, in practice it seems too difficult for most
authors.

-Boris