Re: [css4-color] @color Custom Color Keywords

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:50:25 -0700
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: Christoph P├Ąper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Tab Atkins Jr.
>> @font-face does far more than a simple variable substitution; it
>> defines a complex object that CSS can then use transparently.
>
> I don't buy that. It does define a complex object, but it is referenced
> by the name you choose. Giving something a name is all a variable is.
> Whether that something is an integer or a grab-bag of properties is
> secondary imo.

Well, sure.  The point is, though, that @font-face doesn't define
something that can just be substituted into a property.  It defines
something special in CSS.  Variables just get substituted where they
are used.

> But I agree that addressing variables in general seems more reasonable
> than making something up for colors alone.
>
> Although in fairness these look more like brushes than colors. Which may
> be of value in its own right.

I agree; I used the term "paint servers", but overall the <image>
concept captures all of this, and it's different than the <color>
concept (though you can upgrade a <color> into an <image>).