RE: [css4-color] @color Custom Color Keywords

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:36:10 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Christoph P├Ąper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
CC: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
> From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Tab Atkins Jr.

> @font-face does far more than a simple variable substitution; it
> defines a complex object that CSS can then use transparently.

I don't buy that. It does define a complex object, but it is referenced
by the name you choose. Giving something a name is all a variable is.
Whether that something is an integer or a grab-bag of properties is
secondary imo.

But I agree that addressing variables in general seems more reasonable
than making something up for colors alone.

Although in fairness these look more like brushes than colors. Which may
be of value in its own right.