Re: [css3-fonts] @font-face matching and font-style descriptor

From: Bram Pitoyo <brampitoyo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:40:38 +0530
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>, Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
> My broad take on this is that the web designer should be able to specify one of three positions:

I donít think this behavior is controllable in the current spec. Should it be?

Iím tempted to say yes, because designer can sort of control the
text-rendering property today and prioritize speed, legibility, etc.
On the other hand, itís also important that users see some (any?) sort
of italic whenever an em tag is present.

Can we safely assume today that every user will have fallback sans and
serif with true (style-linked) italic variants present? If so, should
we, then, give developers the option to skip browser-generated italic
in favor of true ones that sit next in the font stack?

-Bram

--
Bram Pitoyo
User experience ◊ architecture ◊ game pattern