Re: [cssom] Directions for better OM expansions

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm so excited to read about new CSSOM directions I might have missed it
> but a big fat one is: authors should not have to parse values such as
> numbers or lengths. The browser has already parsed "100px"; having browsers
> re-serialize it to a string so authors can break it apart with JS, do
> something with it - likely assuming the unit is px - and then re-serialize
> it is too inefficient and fragile.
>
> So I'll be brutal and claim that if a new API could do everything you list but
> still made me deal parse string values - or worse, shorthand string values - I'd
> still consider it a fail.
>
> Given that you mention Anne's Values API, I could assume you take this as granted.
> But it's such a pain point I don't want to take it as granted :)

Hah, yes, I take it as granted that the Values API or something with
similar capabilities will exist to expose values directly as numbers
and maps and such.  (I'm quite happy with the feel of the Values API
as currently imagined.)