Re: [css3-fonts] @font-face matching and font-style descriptor

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:43:52 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>, Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> I'd strongly desire some way to say "please simulate variants I'm not
> explicitly specifying"; I don't particularly care whether this is the
> default or some extra option I have to specify in @font-face.

That's a position I'm perfectly happy with. My broad take on this is
that the web designer should be able to specify one of three positions:

1. Never simulate styles; if font is unavailable, fall back to a family
that provides what is needed.

2. Simulating styles is just fine.

3. Explicitly simulate a style, i.e. use simulation here in preference
to the style linked font.

[As an example of where the third position might be desirable, I have a
novel set in one of my early typefaces that uses a simulated italic
(mechanically sloped roman) for a particular voice in the text that the
author and book designer wanted to be visually distinguished from
regular italics.]

John Hudson