Re: Issue 101 Resolution

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:05:21 -0700
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Based on feedback in this thread, I believe that the changes I'm
proposing for Rules 3 and 7 are correct, except that they should be
phrased in terms of containing blocks.

Rule 3 Current Text:
# The right outer edge of a left-floating box may not
# be to the right of the left outer edge of any
# right-floating box that is to the right of it.
# Analogous rules hold for right-floating elements.

Suggested Text:
| The right outer edge of a left-floating box may not
| be to the right of the left outer edge of any
| right-floating box that is to the right of it and
| whose left outer edge is to the left of the
| left-floating box's containing block's right outer
| edge. Analogous rules hold for right-floating elements.

Rule 7 Current Text:
# A left-floating box that has another left-floating
# box to its left may not have its right outer edge
# to the right of its containing block's right edge.
# (Loosely: a left float may not stick out at the
# right edge, unless it is already as far to the left
# as possible.) An analogous rule holds for
# right-floating elements.

Suggested text: