Re: Positioned Layout proposal

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:55:57 -0400
To: shelby@coolpage.com
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/20/10 9:09 AM, Shelby Moore wrote:
>>   Any sort of sane pagination algorithm not only
>> depends on the layout but also modifies the layout (for a simple
>> example, the heights of auto-height blocks end up depending on where on
>> the page the top content edge of the block appears).  As such it needs
>> to hook into the layout process, and complications to the layout model
>> also complicate pagination.
>
> My point is that as long as the proposed spec only changes the position
> and size of their containing block within the box model, they the relative
> position and size constraint solver is orthogonal to those pagination,
> overflow, etc hooks.

And my point is that positions of objects determine where page breaks
happen, page break locations affect sizes of containing blocks, and
sizes of containing blocks affect positions of objects.

Depending on how this interaction is implemented, changing the set of
ways in which page break locations change the positions of objects may
make the determination of page break locations more complicated.

-Boris