Re: [css3-text] proposed value for text-align: no-justify

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:08:40 +1100
To: Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>
CC: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>, Aryeh Gregor <AryehGregor@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Christoph P├Ąper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
Simon Montagu wrote:
> That said, I don't agree with Aryeh either: in newspaper articles with
> narrow justified columns hyphenation seems to be quite common. In
> printed books it's much rarer, but it is used now and then.

I have seen words split by hyphenation in old books written in
English. Having viewed microfilms of 19th century newspapers shows
that it was then a very common practice for splitting long words by

Here is an example for 1877 in the first two columns.

Here is an example for 1939 which is mostly justified but with a
little bit of hyphenation. See notes under picture (top right) showing
the word Ambassa-dor.

Alan http://css-class.com/