Re: [css3-text] proposed value for text-align: no-justify

Simon Montagu wrote:
[snip]
> That said, I don't agree with Aryeh either: in newspaper articles with
> narrow justified columns hyphenation seems to be quite common. In
> printed books it's much rarer, but it is used now and then.

I have seen words split by hyphenation in old books written in
English. Having viewed microfilms of 19th century newspapers shows
that it was then a very common practice for splitting long words by
hyphenation.

Here is an example for 1877 in the first two columns.

<http://pauldorpat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/dispatch-122477p1-web.jpg>

Here is an example for 1939 which is mostly justified but with a
little bit of hyphenation. See notes under picture (top right) showing
the word Ambassa-dor.

<http://orwelldiaries.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/express-24-8-39-page-1.jpg>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/