Re: [css3-text] text-transform values should be grouped

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 02:31:00 -0700
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/07/2010 12:02 AM, Christoph Päper wrote:
> Masayuki Nakano:
>
> I was preparing a longer review of the draft (probably ready next week or so),
> but since you already mention ‘text-transform’, I’ll raise one point now already.
>
>> Hi, fantasai, thank you for adding "large-kana" value to the text-transform
> property. It can improve accessibility on some Japanese websites.
>
> Can we unify ‘large-kana’ with ‘uppercase’?

No. Small kana and large kana are actually pronounced differently: in modern
Japanese they represent different things. They are in effect different letters
that happen to look similar. The distinction between and lowercase letters,
on the other hand, is primarily at the level of punctuation; they both represent
the same thing.

The transformation from small kana to large kana is added to handle ruby text,
where, at the expense of precision, the kana are transformed to make them
easier to read at such small type sizes. (It might be more appropriate to do
this at the font level, in fact, but jdaggett would have to answer whether
that makes sense. :)

~fantasai