Re: [css3-text] text-transform values should be grouped

fantasai:
> On 10/07/2010 12:02 AM, Christoph Päper wrote:
>>
>> Can we unify ‘large-kana’ with ‘uppercase’?
>
> No. Small kana and large kana are actually pronounced differently: in modern
> Japanese they represent different things. They are in effect different letters
> that happen to look similar.

I knew that much – for TU/sokuon at least, for yōon I don’t think it matters enough (compare ambiguities in other writing systems). If the difference to Western casing is substantial it’s probably better not to have them share one property.

By the way, are normal sized kana really called “large” when contrasted with small ones? Also, “kana” being part of the value it would be more difficult than necessary to apply this to other scripts if that should become necessary.

In conclusion, I guess it’s better to let this being handled on the font level and allow browsers to fake it.