Re: aspect-ratio property

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:17:22 -0700
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
[From another thread]

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM, fantasai <fantasai@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> I'm also curious just in general how much we should pay attention to
>> horizontal block flow.  For my aspect-ratio draft, I'm currently just
>> making it always a width/height ratio.  Should I pay attention to
>> block flow and instead make it an inline-flow-dimension /
>> block-flow-dimension ratio?
>
> In general, all CSS3 drafts should be written to be well-defined for
> both horizontal and vertical writing modes.

The draft is well-defined, yes.  It specifically calls out the fact
that, when both width and height are underdefined, either the width
*or* the height will be resolved first (width first in the default
block flow, height first in a horizontal block flow), and the
interactions of aspect-ratio are well-defined in either case.

But should I instead define the ratio with logical dimensions, such
that a ratio of "2/1" means "twice as wide as it is tall" in a
vertical block flow, but "twice as tall as it is wide" in a horizontal
block flow?  Is there a general rule?  Just best judgement?

I'm just not sure what's "smarter" here.  If I change block-flow, do I
expect elements to rotate their dimensions significantly as well?  Is
the answer the same for a <video> and a <p>?  Should I have a flag
optionally switching it from physical to logical?