Re: Whitespace, punctuation and :first-letter

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 19:52:49 -0400
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Cc: Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 6 October 2010 19:23, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2010, at 9:16 PM, Ambrose LI wrote:
>> I suppose a trivial typographically valid use case would be an opening
>> quotation mark in French. When French guillemets are used, the opening
>> guillemet should always be followed by a space before the real first
>> letter appears.
>
> A non-breaking space, according to wikipedia.

Theoretically, you are correct. But in practice, most people just
won't bother, and they will just use a normal space on web pages. Even
on web pages of professional graphic design associations you see
normal spaces after the opening guillemet and before the closing
guillemet. So, from a practical viewpoint, the use case stands.

--
cheers,
-ambrose