Re: Proposal for CSS 2.1 issue 153

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 07:13:09PM +0200, Bert Bos wrote:

> Section 9.2.1.1 says:
>
>   # When an inline box contains an in-flow block-level box, the inline
>   # box (and its inline ancestors within the same line box) are broken
>   # around the block-level box.

> generates three boxes instead of a pair of nested boxes then it] should say:
>
>   | When an inline element contains an in-flow block-level element, the
>   | inline element (and its inline ancestors within the same line box)
>   | are broken around the block-level box.

That would require defining what it means to break an element.

I haven't seen the text for the proposed "element includes pseudo-element"
change, but I'd also have concerns about how this proposed change interacts
with pseudo-elements, both the before/after kind and the
first-line/first-letter kind.

Something else to be careful of is zindex.html.  For example, if an inline
element gets broken in two, then does that count as one descendent or two?

zindex.html already needs changes to clarify what's meant by "rendering tree"
(or giving a different definition of "tree order"), whether descendents of an
"element" (in the zindex.html sense) include anonymous boxes, whether an inline
element split into two boxes counts as one descendent or two, if two then what
the order of those two is, whether a :first-line pseudo-element counts as a
descendent, if so what its descendents are (and whether any of its children are
also children of a different "element"), and so on; I don't know whether the
proposed change to inline box generation makes that easier or harder.

pjrm.