From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 11:49:20 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
So, new text.  I should have all the cases covered; I drew a diagram
and everything.

The auto position of an abspos element who's parent is a table,
table-row-group, table-header-group, table-footer-group, or table-row
is the first of the following that exists:

* the top left corner of the border area of the first following table-cell
* the top right corner of the border area of the first preceding table-cell
* the top left corner of the content area of the first following table-row
* the bottom left corner of the border area of the first preceding table-row
* the top left corner of the content area of the first following
table-row-group, table-header-group, or table-footer-group
* the bottom left corner of the border area of the first preceding
table-row-group, table-header-group, or table-footer-group
* the top left corner of the content area of the table

(In all cases, the "first following" or "first preceding" is the first
sibling (possibly anonymous) which is in-flow and has the given
display value.  This computation happens after creation of all
anonymous table-* elements.)

~TJ