On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> Just to make sure, you're talking about this, right?:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>>
>> In this case, step 2 of fantasai's revised algorithm won't do anything
>> special with the float
>
> Sure; that's what matches UA behavior.  But why aren't you out to redefine
> that like you are other parts of the behavior?  ;)

Because that behavior makes sense!  ^_^  Floats aren't really
out-of-flow in the global definition of "flow"; they just have special
behavior in normal flow specifically.  Making the term "out of flow"
apply to floats was a bad optimization.

>> (Also, it might be debatable whether or not 3.1 would actually respond
>> to the float.  Defining floats as "out-of-flow" is the problem here -
>> as written, step 3.1 could be interpreted as wrapping all three
>> table-cell or wrapped in one.  It could also be interpreted as saying
>> to wrap the two table-cells in a table-row, but not the float, which
>> doesn't make any sense in terms of the box tree.)
>
> There are all sorts of things that make no sense in terms of the "box tree"
> that CSS calls for (and Bert keeps insisting it's not a tree, note).

Every implementor in the world, in addition to most of our specs,
implicitly or explicitly recognizes the idea of a box tree.  Fighting
it is a lost cause.  ^_^

>>> Yes, yes you do....  Either that or make it very clear what you actually
>>> mean.
>>
>> Sure.  Do you have a preference on which I should do?  I can go either
>> way.
>
> Not terribly as long as it's well-defined.  Note that I'm still not at all
> convinced this change is even desirable, so I'm probably not the best person
> to ask to refine its detailed wording; I don't actually care enough so far.

All right then, I'll see which is easier to define.

~TJ