From: Ken Lunde [mailto:lunde@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:02 PM
To: Ishii Koji
Cc: John Hudson; John Daggett; www-style@w3.org; David Lemon
Subject: Re: [css-fonts] Is it possible to select a vertical variant in a font?

Ishii-san,

I think that you simply need to apply the 'vert' GSUB feature. If a glyph has a vertical variant, the substitution will take place. If not, such as for the standard (aka, not small) kana and kanji, then the glyphs will be passed through as-is. If you want to include the pre-rotated (rotated 90 degrees clockwise) Latin glyphs, then apply the 'vrt2' GSUB feature instead. See Table 7-12 (attached) from page 494 of "CJKV Information Processing" Second Edition, specifically the "90 degrees clockwise" and "As is" columns.

Regards...

-- Ken