Box-shadow and simulating stacked layers

From: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:15:39 -0700
Since we're talking about box-shadow again, I thought I'd point out
this critique of the current box-shadow definition for one specific
use: producing shadows consistent with an illusion of depth.

http://www.pamgriffith.net/blog/complex-uses-of-css3-box-shadow

(Shorter: to do illusion of depth correctly, you may need to adjust the
spread of the box-shadow cast by an edge somewhere in the middle of the
line.  You currently can't do that without introducing additional
elements in the HTML, and even then it's not quite right.)

zw