Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:26:17 +0200
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Hakon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Also sprach John Daggett:

 > > I think the cost for implementations will not be big problem in such
 > > future.
 >
 > I think you're underestimating the impact of this change.  You are basically
 > virtualizing top/bottom/left/right, so any other property that uses
 > top/bottom/left/right needs an expanded set of values or requires redefinition.
 >
 > Other properties in CSS 2.1:
 >
 > 'background-position'
 > 'caption-side'
 > 'clear'
 > 'float'
 > 'text-align'
 > 'vertical-align'

And, even:

  'top'
  'right'
  'bottom'
  'left'

 > CSS3 Paged Media (?)

I would think so. Today we, e.g., have:

  @page :left  { @bottom-left-corner { ... }}
  @page :right { @bottom-right-corner { ... }}
  @page :first { @bottom-left-corner { ... }}

Lots of left and rights and tops and bottoms there.

 > CSS3 Transitions (logical properties can be transitioned?)

ERROR: My head ran out of memory trying to compute the consequences :)

Cheers,

-h&kon