Re: example of vertical and horizontal layout of Japanese

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 00:20:19 -0700 (PDT)
To: Philippe Wittenbergh <ph.wittenbergh@l-c-n.com>
Cc: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

> > What should happen to this page when writing-mode is switched to
> > tb-rl? In IE8 you'll see the very *end* of the document, since the
> > text block is now very wide instead of very tall and the left most
> > part of that block in view corresponds to the end of the document.
> > Page down won't work, you'll need to scroll over to the far right,
> > then read by clicking left.
>
> Conceptually, the css3 multi-column module could cover this. In
> tb-rl mode the columns could become rows. The for a long page you
> define the height of the row (=width of column), the width of the
> whole block, and  column-gaps and -rules work horizontally.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/>

Right, I definitely think something could be worked out that would
work for vertical text.  In fact, the more I look at long horizontal
blocks of vertical text the more I think it's really a minimum
requirement for usuable vertical text support, so that users can get
blocks of vertical text that flow down over a set of rows rather
than columns.

John Daggett