Re: example of vertical and horizontal layout of Japanese

On Jun 8, 2010, at 12:21 AM, John Daggett wrote:

>> See the definition of the text-underline-position property of CSS3 Text:
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-underline-position
>>
>> | Name:  text-underline-position
>> | Value: auto | before-edge | alphabetic | after-edge
>> | Initial: auto
>> | auto
>> |     ... In vertical line layout, if the language is set to Japanese
>> |     or Korean, the underline should be aligned as for before-edge.
>>
>> Japanese ebook readers that can switch writing modes render underline
>> this way.
>
> Ok, that's good, that handles how 'text-decoration: underline' behaves but
> this doesn't cover the border-bottom case.  The only way to apply a
> color, thickness, or dash to an underline is via border-bottom for
> horizontal text.

The css3-text module also allows for <style> & <color>
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-decoration-style>

Thickness is still completely dependent on the font-metrics as far as I can tell.

> A large page of HTML with horizontal text is essentially a page with a
> very large height, somewhat different from the layout of single print
> pages. Consider a page like the one below, containing a the text of
> Natsume Soseki's "I Am a Cat" (the story of a far more intelligent
> species than our own):
>
>  http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000148/files/789_14547.html
>
> What should happen to this page when writing-mode is switched to tb-rl?
> In IE8 you'll see the very *end* of the document, since the text block
> is now very wide instead of very tall and the left most part of that
> block in view corresponds to the end of the document. Page down won't work,
> you'll need to scroll over to the far right, then read by clicking left.

Conceptually, the css3 multi-column module could cover this. In tb-rl mode the columns could become rows. The for a long page you define the height of the row (=width of column), the width of the whole block, and  column-gaps and -rules work horizontally.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/>