Re: [CSS21] bidi, text-align, and list markers

From: Adil Allawi <adil@diwan.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:40:17 +0100
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
  Hi Fatasai,

Thanks for the clarification. With regard to your third point I would
point out there is a relevant use-case for aligning the bullet on the
basis of the direction of the list container instead of the <li>
element. In 2004 NTT DoCoMo produced a specification for Bi-di support
with its i-Mode service. Aligning the bullets on the basis of the list
container direction was one of the requirements. I would assume that
this behaviour has been implemented in several Nokia and Symbian phones
and I know it is the standard behaviour of the Openwave (now Myriad)
mobile browser. This means that there is existing XHTML content and UAs
that have this behaviour.

I would be interested to know what use-cases influenced the CSS WG decision.

Adil