Re: [CSS21] bidi, text-align, and list markers

Ambrose LI wrote:
> On 2 June 2010 14:12, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
>> I disagree to regarding the placement of the list marker. For Boris'
>> example.
>>
>>    * 123 WERBEH
>>    * latin latin
>>    * latin latin
>>

>> To achieve this, an author can use a child element.
>>
>> <ul>
>>  <li>latin latin</li>
>>  <li>latin latin</li>
>> </ul>
>
> But wouldn't it be very counterintuitive to have <li dir=rtl> mean
> something different than <li><span dir=rtl> ?
>
> As an uninformed author (i.e., one that is not following this list
> closely), I find it very surprising that I'll have to use a child
> element when I can set the direction in the list item.

The list marker does not even render to the list-item. It usually
dangles outside the list-item block and within the area that is the
default padding-start of either a <ul> or <ol>.

Take this test case.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/list-marker-rtl.htm>

Please note that in the first and third test, the list marker is
hidden outside the 'initial containing block' or viewport to the
right. To view these list markers, scroll horizontally to the right.

In IE8, the list-markers are hidden completely.

The fifth and sixth test shows something different between Gecko and
WebKit. I do believe that Gecko's implementation is correct.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/