Re: [CSS21] bidi, text-align, and list markers

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 16:44:58 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:14:25 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> But late in 2006 we changed that. We decided that, as long as the author
> doesn't set an explicit 'text-align' all elements will be as magic as
> the root element. I don't remember the exact arguments (maybe we
> expected people to set DIR on BODY instead of HTML?).

I think they do. I believe they set 'dir' on elements even further down
the tree too.

> But a recently published WD of the I18N WG says that both changes were
> wrong[3]. Neither the bullet position nor the alignment should depend
> on an element's own writing direction.

I see the part about the bullet position, but not the alignment (the
proposed change would affect a lot more than lists, too, and I couldn't
find those cases being mentioned). In fact, Example 10 seems to indicate
the opposite - here the third list item is right-aligned.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA