Re: [css21][css3][svg] SVG and unit-less length values

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:59:38 -0700
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>, "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
OK, I'll bite...

On Jul 7, 2010, at 8:18 , Chris Lilley wrote:

> If they are more used to SVG (or some other vector format) and they are starting to apply that to HTML/CSS then they are surprised to find they need to add units 'even if it doesn't make sense'.

I'm wondering when it "doesn't make sense" to give units for a length value.  Even the zero case makes sense (I think 0cm is well-defined)!  Why isn't the suggestion "give units all the time, you know it makes sense and avoids the possibility that the author assumes X and the UA assumes Y" [1].

[1] http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

David Singer