From: public-fx-request@w3.org [public-fx-request@w3.org] on behalf of David Singer [singer@apple.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:59 AM
To: Chris Lilley
Cc: Sylvain Galineau; Boris Zbarsky; www-style@w3.org list; public-fx@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css21][css3][svg] SVG and unit-less length values

OK, I'll bite...

On Jul 7, 2010, at 8:18 , Chris Lilley wrote:

> If they are more used to SVG (or some other vector format) and they are starting to apply that to HTML/CSS then they are surprised to find they need to add units 'even if it doesn't make sense'.

I'm wondering when it "doesn't make sense" to give units for a length value..  Even the zero case makes sense (I think 0cm is well-defined)!  Why isn't the suggestion "give units all the time, you know it makes sense and avoids the possibility that the author assumes X and the UA assumes Y" [1].

[1] http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

David Singer