Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Jan 10, 2010, at 4:51 AM, Simetrical wrote:

> I don't think you're ever going to educate all web authors that "12pt"
> is unsuitable for the web when it works just fine in Word.

Yeah, but that doesn't matter, because those sites have fixed widths that were designed to look good on a 20" monitor (or at least an 800px-wide one), so they are going to look bad on a dumb-phone anyway, or look fine on mobile Webkit.

> I strongly
> suspect that most people who use point sizes don't even know that a
> point is 1/72 of an inch, and have just developed an intuitive
> understanding of what various point sizes mean based on their
> experience with word processors.

If they have a background in print design, then they would more likely know, which is probably what made them choose points as a type measure.