Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Simetrical <simetrical@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 07:51:45 -0500
To: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style List <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have this crazy idea that this is still an "education" problem.

I don't think you're ever going to educate all web authors that "12pt"
is unsuitable for the web when it works just fine in Word.  I strongly
suspect that most people who use point sizes don't even know that a
point is 1/72 of an inch, and have just developed an intuitive
understanding of what various point sizes mean based on their
experience with word processors.  The problem from this perspective is
that most people probably think of "pt" in relative terms, not as a
physical unit.  (The other problem is that physical units are of
limited utility in web pages.)